Apply for this position
Send us your CV and details of the position you are interested in.Apply
Coconut Lizard is at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studio is growing, and we are now looking for an Associate Technical Artist to join the expanding team.
Founded in 2015, and part of the Keyword Studios Group since 2020, we are based in Newcastle/Gateshead area and we work on multiple exciting projects at any one time, offering plenty of variety and involvement. We offer our talented team a professional, fun and supportive working environment and we are passionate about what we do.
The Role – Associate Technical Artist
The Associate Technical Artist will be a key part of our growing team. We are looking for a creative problem solver to support both the art and animation team requirements, assisting with resolving technical issues, streamlining workflows, improving performance and creating toolsets.
We work with high-profile clients on amazing game titles and the Technical Artist will get to work on a wide variety of projects, raising the bar of the art productivity and efficiency, and therefore helping us satisfy and retain their loyalty.
- Help to establish and maintain project art pipelines from inception and throughout the project life-cycle.
- Support the art and animation team requirements and assist with resolving technical issues.
- Assist with creating and integrating in-house toolsets and be involved in creating materials/shaders.
- Help to ensure all artwork hits memory and frame rate guidelines/restrictions by means of performance profiling.
- Collaborate with the artists and feedback on how they can improve the performance of the in-game assets while maintaining visual fidelity.
- Help to ensure all artwork adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures etc.
- Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the art team.
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve efficiency in the art pipeline and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
- Advise Tech Art Leads of resourcing concerns and productions risks.
Skills we think you should have
- Enjoy the technical challenge and constraints of real-time game art and have some understanding of modern rendering, shading and lighting techniques.
- Must be performance and quality focused.
- Must have a working knowledge of Maya and/or 3DS Max and some knowledge in Python.
- Good communication and organisation skills and enthusiasm for working within a multidisciplinary art team.
- Ability to create materials/shaders and an understanding of a PBR workflow.
- Good understanding of the technical limitations of current console hardware.
- Practical and methodical approach to technical and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a Technical Artist.
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Knowledge of current game development practices and terminology and a passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
Skills we'd like you to have
- MEL and/or Maxscript knowledge is advantageous.
- Knowledge of the Maya API and programming in C++ or C# is advantageous.
- Some understanding of various other tools and software used in development, Photoshop, Substance, Houdini etc is also advantageous.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine or Unity is advantageous.
Please note we are actively hiring and interviews will be held by video call.
For this opportunity, we are ideally looking for candidates looking for a studio based or hybrid working arrangement (splitting time between the studio and working from home). We will consider fully remote workers too for this opportunity.
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to work in and offers the following company benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- 25 Days Annual Holiday
- Company Pension Scheme (% matched by company up to 10%)
- Company Christmas Bonus Scheme
- Private Medical Scheme
- Amazon Birthday Voucher
- Medical Cash Plan Scheme (Optical/Dental)
- Death in Service Cover
- Anti-Crunch Environment
- Flexible Working Hours
- Social Events
- Studio Refreshments – very well stocked!