Apply for this position
Send us your CV and details of the position you are interested in.Apply
Coconut Lizard is at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studio is growing, and we are now looking for a Senior UI Artist to join our expanding team.
Founded in 2015, and part of the Keyword Studios Group since 2020, we are based in Newcastle/Gateshead area and we work on multiple exciting projects at any one time, offering plenty of variety and involvement. We offer our talented team a professional, fun and supportive working environment and we are passionate about what we do.
The Role – Senior UI Artist
The Senior UI Artist is going to be a key part of our growing UI Team. This is very much a hands-on role creating graphics for projects, whilst also overseeing all Coconut Lizard UI artwork, inspiring and motivating the team to create world class user interfaces. We work with very high-profile clients on amazing game titles and so the quality of the UI Artwork is critical to satisfying and retaining their loyalty.
- Create high quality 2D user interface graphical artwork, from wireframe prototypes and concepts, through to implementation in game, including bug fixing and polishing.
- Assist with concepting new ideas, exploring new techniques, and refining the UI to enhance the player experience.
- Following specified art direction and working in collaboration with other departments, create beautiful icons, menus, buttons, and front-end HUD graphics, and assist in both providing and implementing feedback.
- Work with the UI Lead in helping to define clear visual goals, create best practice artwork and help to oversee the UI Team quality, ensuring consistency between initial vision and final assets.
- Ensure work meets all technical constraints, have an awareness of memory usage, optimisation, and the impact of artwork on frame rate.
- Adhere to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures, folders etc.
- Attend regular reviews of artwork and assist in both providing and implementing feedback.
- With a professional and organised approach, you adhere to schedules and promptly feedback concerns regarding any aspects of the project.
- Ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order, updating Jira, communicating progress, and helping to manage team deliverables.
- Able, when required, to take ownership of specific features of the game or to manage outsource artwork, including all communication, feedback, and implementation.
- Keep up-to-date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the Art Team.
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents, and technical guides to improve efficiency in the UI processes and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
- Self-driven, autonomous, and confident, demonstrate responsibility for work quality and processes for both yourself and other members of the UI Team, actively contributing fresh ideas and encouraging the team.
- Confident with motivating Artists, inspire colleagues to flourish and help promote a culture of collaborative innovation.
Skills we think you should have
- A passion for great user design and accessibility in games and the importance of connecting the UI with the overall game experience.
- Knowledge of user-centered principles and techniques and an appreciation of the importance of the UI flow and functionality.
- Experience with modern UI animation processes, good sense of timing for animating UI elements to create slick and clear interaction design.
- Strong working knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator in particular) experience in Figma / Adobe XD or similar prototyping tool and in After Effects.
- Good understanding of various other tools and processes used in game development, including current game editors such as Unreal.
- Strong communication and organisation skills and confident working as part of a multidisciplinary Art Team.
- Evidence of being an enthusiastic leader or role model in intermediate art role Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a UI Artist.
- Be a collaborative team player, have a professional, flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt with change.
- Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Passion for staying up-to-date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques and emerging UI/UX trends.
Skills we'd like you to have
- Experience of working within game development for at least three years
- At least three published titles
- At least one full project cycle in an Intermediate Art position
For this opportunity, we are ideally looking for candidates looking for a studio based or hybrid working arrangement (splitting time between the studio and working from home). We will consider fully remote workers too for this opportunity. Please contact us for further information.
Interviews will be held via video call.
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to work in and offers the following company benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- 25 Days Annual Holiday
- Company Pension Scheme (% matched by company up to 10%)
- Company Christmas Bonus Scheme
- Private Medical Scheme
- Amazon Birthday Voucher
- Medical Cash Plan Scheme (Optical/Dental)
- Death in Service Cover
- Anti-Crunch Environment
- Flexible Working Hours
- Social Events
- Studio Refreshments – very well stocked!