Apply for this position
Go through the steps on our recruitment portal if you are interested in this position.Apply
Coconut Lizard and our sister studio d3t are at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studios are continuing to grow and we are looking for a Senior Animator to join the expanding Animation Team. Our studios, part of the Keywords Studios Group, work on multiple exciting projects at any one time offering plenty of variety and involvement.
We have collectively been established over 13 years and our studio projects have included Hogwart’s Legacy, Dead Island 2, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Alan Wake Remastered, Sea of Thieves, Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Assetto Corsa Competizione.
Our studios are based near Runcorn, Cheshire and Gateshead, Tyne and Wear where we offer an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment. We are very passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on our inclusive mentality, mentoring ethos and have been awarded 'Best Places to Work’ multiple times by gamesindustry.biz including 2021, 2022 and 2023. In addition, we won ‘Best Creative Service Provider‘ at Develop 2022 and were nominated in 2023.
Senior Animator – Responsibilities
- With a deep understanding of anatomy and motion, create exceptional animations both for in-game and cinematic scenes and understand what makes a good camera composition.
- Attend regular animation reviews and assist in both providing and implementing feedback to ensure the highest quality animations in our games.
- Be a role model, inspiring and motivating the animation team to create world class animations.
- Work with tech animators, tech artists and programmers to help improve workflows in the character animation pipeline for increased animation efficiency.
- Ensure all animation work adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures, folders etc.
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve the animation pipeline.
- Be proactive in helping resolve technical issues and support the team with fixing bugs and finding solutions.
- Passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new animation techniques and share knowledge with the animation team.
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills, deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- With a professional and organised approach, adhere to schedules and promptly feedback concerns regarding any aspects of the project. Ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order, updating Jira, communicating progress and helping to manage team deliverables.
- Able, when required, to take ownership of specific features of the game or to manage outsource artwork, including all communication, feedback and implementation.
- Confident with motivating and inspiring more junior animators to flourish and help to promote a culture of collaborative innovation.
Self-driven, autonomous and confident, demonstrate responsibility for work quality and processes for both yourself and other members of the animation team, actively contributing fresh ideas and encouraging the team.
Skills we think you should have
- Excellent animation skills demonstrated through show reel.
- High proficiency in Maya/MotionBuilder, UE4/Unity, Excel and Jira.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving and experience of mentoring and sharing technical knowledge with junior team members.
- Effective communication and organisation skills and confident working within a multidisciplinary animation team.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt with change.
- Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
Skills we'd like you to have
- Experience of working within game development for at least 4 years.
- At least three published titles.
- At least two full project cycles in a Senior Animation position.
- Proven background in outsource art provision.
We offer a flexible working policy – the role can be hybrid, remote (UK based only) or studio based at either of our studio sites - d3t (Runcorn, Cheshire) or Coconut Lizard (Gateshead, Tyne & Wear).
Initial interviews will be help by video call.
Don't meet every single requirement? Not a problem - please apply. At d3t we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace and culture. If this opportunity excites you but your current skills or past experience don't align perfectly with the job description, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles within our team.
Internal Use -
Role Information: EN
Location: Europe, UK, Gateshead
Area of Work: Game Development
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
Working Pattern: Hybrid, Remote, In-Office
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to not only work but to learn and develop.
We offer the following benefits to ALL of our employees:
- A Competitive Salary (based on UK comparisons)
- 25 Days' Holiday Per Year PLUS Bank Holidays
- Pension Scheme with company contribution
- Private Medical Scheme including dental and eyecare
- Company Social Events
- Tech Scheme, Bike Scheme, Company Share Scheme
- Game Vouchers
- Death in Service and Income Protection
- Fully Stocked Kitchen provided totally free with a selection of refreshments
- Flexible Working Hours