Apply for this position
Go through the steps on our recruitment portal if you are interested in this position.Apply
Coconut Lizard and our sister studio, d3t are at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. We are currently looking for a Senior Level Designer to join our expanding design team (at either studio site) as we look ahead to our next projects.
Our studio, part of the Keywords Studios Group, works on multiple exciting projects at any one time offering plenty of variety and involvement. Our studio projects have included Hogwart’s Legacy, The Masquerade - Blood Hunt, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Alan Wake Remastered, Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Assetto Corsa Competizione.
Our studios are based near Runcorn, Cheshire and Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. We offer an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment. We are passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on our inclusive mentality, mentoring ethos and have been awarded 'Best Places to Work’ multiple times by gamesindustry.biz including 2021, 2022 and 2023. In addition, we have won ‘Best Creative Service Provider‘at Develop 2022.
- Review and feedback latest build to ensure that it conforms with the design vision and the core mechanics of the game.
- Communicate the project objectives, strategies, and general information to all team members in order to give visibility to the advancement of the development of the game.
- Work alongside the design team, contributing to the game design and features to inspire and guide the other designers.
- Be part of the senior Design leadership; mentor others, bring your experience to bear, and help steer the department’s direction.
- Communicate with clients to ensure all parties have full awareness of current and projected objectives, difficulties, and deadlines.
- Take part in discussions with prospective clients regarding potential projects.
- Liaise with the Production team to assess progress towards short- and long-term objectives.
- Liaise with other discipline leads and seniors to maintain awareness of progress and impediments.
- Actively participate in the decision-making process with management and oversee the necessary adjustments to ensure that the game meets expectations.
- Promoting and building a strong cooperative culture between disciplines.
- Participate in the selection, on-boarding and mentoring of team members.
- Create a work environment that is motivating for team members and which fosters development and creation.
- Carry out all other related tasks for the department.
Skills we think you should have
- 6+ years in a Level Designer role on at least one AAA title.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to organize and structure your own work and that of the team (follow ups, control, schedule).
- Mentoring and developing individuals within a team.
- Client focus (internal and external).
- Thrives as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations with a flexible and professional attitude.
- Hungry to learn and expand your areas of expertise.
Skills we'd like you to have
- Experience supervising a Level Design Team.
- Management and planning skills, with an ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Good analytical skills.
- Scripting experience.
- Art package experience (2D or 3D).
- Good working knowledge of Unreal.
We offer a flexible working policy at our studios.
Initial interviews will be help by video call with a second interview potentially at the studio, dependent on the individual.
Don't meet every single requirement? Not a problem - please apply. At d3t and Coconut Lizard we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace and culture. If this opportunity excites you but your current skills or past experience don't align perfectly with the job description, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles within our team.
Internal Use -
Role Information: EN
Location: Europe, UK, Gateshead
Area of Work: Game Development
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
Working Pattern: Hybrid, Remote, In-Office
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to not only work but to learn and develop.
We offer the following benefits to ALL of our employees:
- A Competitive Salary (based on UK comparisons)
- 25 Days' Holiday Per Year PLUS Bank Holidays
- Pension Scheme with company contribution
- Private Medical Scheme including dental and eyecare
- Company Social Events
- Tech Scheme, Bike Scheme, Company Share Scheme
- Game Vouchers
- Death in Service and Income Protection
- Fully Stocked Kitchen provided totally free with a selection of refreshments
- Flexible Working Hours