Apply for this position
Send us your CV and details of the position you are interested in.Apply
Coconut Lizard is at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studio is growing, and we are now looking for a VFX Artist to join the expanding Art Team.
Founded in 2015, and part of the Keyword Studios Group since 2020, we are based in Newcastle/Gateshead area and we work on multiple exciting projects at any one time, offering plenty of variety and involvement. We offer our talented team a professional, fun and supportive working environment and we are passionate about what we do.
The Role – VFX Artist
The VFX Artist is a key part of our growing Art Team at Coconut Lizard. Having an excellent eye for detail, we are looking for someone who can create world class Visual Effects that support and enhance the gameplay experience. We work with very high-profile clients on amazing game titles and the quality of our Visual Effects artwork is critical to satisfying and retaining their loyalty.
- Follow a pre-defined art direction or concept to produce visual effects in varying art styles.
- Create high quality visual effects, from prototype through to implementation in game, including bug fixing and polishing, and assisting with concepting new ideas and exploring new techniques.
- Create clean and efficient systems, with an awareness of what is required for optimal performance, ensuring work hits memory and frame rate guides and complies to project guidelines in terms of naming conventions, texture layering structures, folders etc.
- With a professional and organised approach, adhere to schedules and promptly feedback concerns, updating Jira and communicating progress.
- Respond to art direction effectively and assist in both providing and implementing feedback.
- Keep up-to-date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the VFX Art Team.
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve efficiency in the VFX art processes and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
- Mentor Junior VFX Artists and help promote a culture of collaborative innovation.
Skills we think you should have
- Excellent artistic ability exhibited through a portfolio/showreel, demonstrating a range of 2D and 3D real time game VFX.
- An understanding of timing, weight, physical behaviour and motion physics.
- An understanding of current visual effects trends and technologies and a passion for innovation.
- Proficient in Maya/Max, Photoshop, Substance and After Effects. Experience in bespoke VFX software such as Houdini, UE4's Cascade or Niagra, Unity's Shuriken, PopcornFX, FumeFX or Ember Gen.
- Experience of various tools and game engines currently used in game development.
- Good communication and organisation skills and happy working as part of a multidisciplinary Art Team.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving and an ability to take art direction effectively.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a VFX Artist.
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt with change. Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
Please note we are actively hiring and interviews will be held by video call.
For this opportunity, we are ideally looking for candidates looking for a studio based or hybrid working arrangement (splitting time between the studio and working from home). We will consider fully remote workers too for this opportunity.
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to work in and offers the following company benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- 25 Days Annual Holiday
- Company Pension Scheme (% matched by company up to 10%)
- Company Christmas Bonus Scheme
- Private Medical Scheme
- Amazon Birthday Voucher
- Medical Cash Plan Scheme (Optical/Dental)
- Death in Service Cover
- Anti-Crunch Environment
- Flexible Working Hours
- Social Events
- Studio Refreshments – very well stocked!